Tuesday, December 12, 2006

[rosacea] Re: Hello all

Hello,
I guess I feel active tonight. Anyway...also, one needs to take into
account what exactly "long term" use means in the literature. I have
read studies regarding CTZ's that long-term is 10 years. Thats a long
time. This is when it's exteremely useful to trace to the primary
literature (controlled clinical trials) to find the details of the
study(s). Regarding drug therapy, it's all about the details.
Anyway, so far in my search, the relationship between systemic
corticosteroid use and thin skin is not well established in the
literature. But maybe this is also because it hasn't been focused on.
No more posts from me on this until I research this some more,
promise.
Perry
>
> Tamara,
> Thanks for the response. Yes, I was surprised to find mention
> of 'thin skin' in AHFS 2005. Surprising bc I found no mention of
this
> in any of the other commonly used sources that pharmacists use (nor
> did I find anything on Medline....).
> Anyway, so the question then becomes, at what dose(s) does (or did)
> this occur? Almost all drug related ADR's are dose dependent (not
> talking drug allergies here)....
> Also, the low-dose method of corticosteroid use is fairly new in
> relation to the older 'dosing by weight' method.
> I'll see what I can find out.
> Thanks for the concern and correction.
> Perry
>
>
>
> <roseflowerbloom@> wrote:
> >
> > Perry, Artist is correct on this. I would like to second that.
> Prednisone can cause thinning of the skin amoung many other side
> effects. You can simply google prednisone thin skin.....and you
will
> come up with alot of information. Hope this helps you. I know its
> your choice, and we are here to help one another, but prednisone to
> me has serious concequences long term, and should not be taken
> lightly.I dont mean to scare you here, but I think you should
listen
> to your doctor on this one. take care. tamara
> >
> > prryjones <pjoenss@> wrote: Artist,
> > Your comments concerning prednisone are interesting. I am not
aware
> > (doesn't mean it doesn't exist) of anything in the literature
> linking
> > oral corticosteroid use to the thinning of facial skin. My
> > understanding is that phenomenon is thus far restricted to the
use
> of
> > the topical coticosteroids, at least at present.
> > Prednisone (10 mg/day) is the ONLY therapy that has helped my
> rosacea
> > (incl. IPL/laser, Rx, OTC's, herbals, etc). It has many off-label
> > indications, incl. collagen stimulation (in addition to its well
> known
> > anti-inflammatory, allergic, and auto-immune activity).
> > I am definitely NOT disagreeing with your assessment of P use and
a
> > possible rosacea link, however, and will let the group know if
and
> when
> > my symptoms take a turn for the worse.
> > Thanks for the info.
> > Perry
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Please read the list highlights and FAQ: http://rosacea.ii.net
> > New ! Rosacea Support Resource Pages: http://rosacea-
> research.org/wiki
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ---------------------------------
> > Now you can have a huge leap forward in email: get the new Yahoo!
> Mail.
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>

__._,_.___
--
Please read the list highlights and FAQ: http://rosacea.ii.net
New ! Rosacea Support Resource Pages: http://rosacea-research.org/wiki
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

.

__,_._,___