Monday, December 11, 2006

Re: [rosacea] Re: Hello all

when I have had two allergic reactions, pretty bad ones.
I was given some topical steroid ointment to use, knowing what it could possibley cause
I tossed it under the sink! I wasn't about to put it on my very oily, breakout prone
cheekbones!! I just waited it out both times to improve on its own.
the derm says it can cause acne or incresed rosacea.
It did heal slowly, not using it, but seeing pictures on the net of acne/rosacea induced
topical steroids sure scared me! as far as oral steroids go.
Id be scared of it too. I hear body builders that take it to bulk up often get acne as a result.
unless aboslutely as a last resort, would I use it. my friend becky took it (orally) and she blew up like a balloon and became very flushed, she stopped it quick.

nurse_artist <nurse_artist@yahoo.com> wrote:
ohhh Perry I wonder if that's ok. You may want to talk more to your
derm and PCP about it and research some more on it. I was assuming
it's similar to topical use in that you become reliant on it, then
need more of it eventually, then it doesn't work as well because the
skin becomes fragile and thin. I do notice that regular (no rosacea)
patients on long term steroids very often have rosy cheeks and visible
capillaries, and in general the skin becomes fragile and heals more
slowly among other effects. I always worry about skin healing when I
have someone on steroids. Maybe that's just a side effect for some
that take it? I guess I'm not positive, but from what I know in
general, oral steriods are reserved for short term use during a very
severe rosacea case or flare. Anyone know more about oral steriods and
rosacea?

Have you found you are reliant on it or need more over time?

Interesting topic. Please chime in, those who may have more info..

Artist

--- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "prryjones"

wrote:
>
> Artist,
> Your comments concerning prednisone are interesting. I am not aware
> (doesn't mean it doesn't exist) of anything in the literature
linking
> oral corticosteroid use to the thinning of facial skin. My
> understanding is that phenomenon is thus far restricted to the use
of
> the topical coticosteroids, at least at present.
> Prednisone (10 mg/day) is the ONLY therapy that has helped my
rosacea
> (incl. IPL/laser, Rx, OTC's, herbals, etc). It has many off-label
> indications, incl. collagen stimulation (in addition to its well
known
> anti-inflammatory, allergic, and auto-immune activity).
> I am definitely NOT disagreeing with your assessment of P use and a
> possible rosacea link, however, and will let the group know if and
when
> my symptoms take a turn for the worse.
> Thanks for the info.
> Perry
>

--
Please read the list highlights and FAQ: http://rosacea.ii.net
New ! Rosacea Support Resource Pages: http://rosacea-research.org/wiki

Yahoo! Groups Links

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
--
Please read the list highlights and FAQ: http://rosacea.ii.net
New ! Rosacea Support Resource Pages: http://rosacea-research.org/wiki
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

.

__,_._,___