Wednesday, December 13, 2006

[rosacea] Prednison, thin skin

Hello,
A few days ago I questioned the statement by some over whether
prednisone (systemic corticosteroid) use was well documented and
established to cause steroid induced rosacea.
I was surprised to hear this and so did a quick literature search
using the appropriate drug resources ( I did not check the package
insert to prednisone as some of the infomation from the following
sources comes from the inserts and also the inserts aren't always
updated, anyway):
1)LexiComp DIH, 2006: Skin atrophy <1% (This is a new update, as this
was not mentioned in the 2005 verson of the DIH).
2)American Hospital Forulary Service (AHFS 2005): Thin skin
3)Micromedex, 2006: Skin atrophy
4)Manual of Dermatologic Therapeutics, 2002: No mention (This is
really dated...I think a more recent version is already available). I
incl. this reference bc it is a respected therapy-based (as opposed
to physiology-based)quick reference.
5)Facts and Comparisons, 2006: No mention
6)Rxlist.com (updated 2006)Regarded by most PharmD's as the most
complete online drug monograph tool, available to anyone. I highly
recommend it: Facial erythema.
NOTE: Under "Indications and dosage" check out the new dosing method
for long-term users, "Alternate Day therapy".
So, I would say that since 4 of 5 VALID sources list skin thinning,
atrophy, or erythema, that I was wrong in saying that SIR was not
well supported in the literature.
I still feel a good delving into the primary literature to find the
details of SIR and predisone may yield revealing data (et at what
doses does this most commonly occur?)
This is a good question for Artist...what dosing regimen are the
patients with facial redness ususally on?
If I find any more info...I'll post.
Thanks for the heads-up ya'll.
Perry
Perry

__._,_.___
--
Please read the list highlights and FAQ: http://rosacea.ii.net
New ! Rosacea Support Resource Pages: http://rosacea-research.org/wiki
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

.

__,_._,___