Monday, December 11, 2006

[rosacea] Re: Hello all

Tamara,
Thanks for the response. Yes, I was surprised to find mention
of 'thin skin' in AHFS 2005. Surprising bc I found no mention of this
in any of the other commonly used sources that pharmacists use (nor
did I find anything on Medline....).
Anyway, so the question then becomes, at what dose(s) does (or did)
this occur? Almost all drug related ADR's are dose dependent (not
talking drug allergies here)....
Also, the low-dose method of corticosteroid use is fairly new in
relation to the older 'dosing by weight' method.
I'll see what I can find out.
Thanks for the concern and correction.
Perry

<roseflowerbloom@...> wrote:
>
> Perry, Artist is correct on this. I would like to second that.
Prednisone can cause thinning of the skin amoung many other side
effects. You can simply google prednisone thin skin.....and you will
come up with alot of information. Hope this helps you. I know its
your choice, and we are here to help one another, but prednisone to
me has serious concequences long term, and should not be taken
lightly.I dont mean to scare you here, but I think you should listen
to your doctor on this one. take care. tamara
>
> prryjones <pjoenss@...> wrote: Artist,
> Your comments concerning prednisone are interesting. I am not aware
> (doesn't mean it doesn't exist) of anything in the literature
linking
> oral corticosteroid use to the thinning of facial skin. My
> understanding is that phenomenon is thus far restricted to the use
of
> the topical coticosteroids, at least at present.
> Prednisone (10 mg/day) is the ONLY therapy that has helped my
rosacea
> (incl. IPL/laser, Rx, OTC's, herbals, etc). It has many off-label
> indications, incl. collagen stimulation (in addition to its well
known
> anti-inflammatory, allergic, and auto-immune activity).
> I am definitely NOT disagreeing with your assessment of P use and a
> possible rosacea link, however, and will let the group know if and
when
> my symptoms take a turn for the worse.
> Thanks for the info.
> Perry
>
>
>
> --
> Please read the list highlights and FAQ: http://rosacea.ii.net
> New ! Rosacea Support Resource Pages: http://rosacea-
research.org/wiki
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------
> Now you can have a huge leap forward in email: get the new Yahoo!
Mail.
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
--
Please read the list highlights and FAQ: http://rosacea.ii.net
New ! Rosacea Support Resource Pages: http://rosacea-research.org/wiki
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

.

__,_._,___