Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Re: White Wine/Sulphites Was: Re: [rosacea] Red (or Yellow?) LED Therapy

Well, there are some trace naturally occuring sulphites but those usually don't present a problem from what I understand. But yeah, in conventional wine the sulphites are added as preservatives. You will also find this in salad bars, most potatoe products like homefries from restaurants and any processed (conventional) apple product........like apple cinnamon cereals hot and cold. And for some odd reason you will find sulphites in WHITE grape juice. Not the red, but the white. This is one dangerous preservative especially since it is potentially leathal for a percentage of the population...........namely, people with asthma. There is no time to react, when a person with asthma has a reaction to sulphites from everything I've heard they die. With all the other preservatives on the market (not that that's a great thing mind you) I never understood why this one is not band. Any way, I digress (my son has asthma so I am particularly mindful o f this preservative), back
to the wine. Most liquor stores will have a small organic sulphite free area depending on the demand. The ones near me used to just stock them around the Holiday's. When I asked about this I was told because they go over too quickly not being preserved by the sulphites. Never understood why they didn't just put a vitamin E capsule in there............isn't vitamin E supposed to be a natural preservative? This white wine from your local winery, is it organic? I am wondering why you are able to tolerate it if it has sulphites. Myself, I have never reacted to them, but really don't want to take the chance. I just don't see the point. Oh, another place sulphites show up is shrimp. It's very hard to go into a conventional grocery store and find shrimp cocktail with no sulphites. It's a crap shoot. Sometimes you look at the ingredients and it says: shrimp, water, and salt. Other times (the SAME brand!) will say: shrimp, water, sulphites. And don't forget th at
sulphites can hide under other names. Nice hugh? Metabisulfites is one and I believe poly benzo something or other. I can't remember but it is very deceiving as the word "sulfite" does not appear in the name so it is tricky. I remember it when I see it but it escapes me now. Good luck Artist. Let us know if you find anything good. And again, you usually will see on the lable "trace amounts of naturally occuring sulphites". But they don't add them and from what I understand these do not harm. Don't know if it is because it is "naturally occuring" or if it is because they are "trace" amounts.

Take care,
Elena

nurse_artist <nurse_artist@yahoo.com> wrote:
Elena I think I'll try organic white wine. It never crossed my mind to
look for organic and sulphate-free wine. I didn't know it was possible
I guess. So, they add suplphites? I thought the sulphites were formed
during the process or something. I had no idea... I almost
exclusively drink the white wine from a local winery, so that wine
probably just doesn't have the sulphites or as much yeast than other
brands - maybe fresher or something... If I try other brands I run
into a problem sometimes.. Hmm I'll have to learn about organic wines
and what makes them different. Thanks!!!

Artist

---------------------------------
Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows. $420,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate new house payment

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
--
Please read the list highlights and FAQ: http://rosacea.ii.net
New ! Rosacea Support Resource Pages: http://rosacea-research.org/wiki
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

.

__,_._,___