Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Re: [rosacea] Re: supplements

On 29/11/06 00:28, "melissawohlbattista" <melissawohlbattista@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I agree Emma. The choices are overwhelming and there
> seems to be no definitive combination. The dosage, the
> supplement choices, the timing, the interactions with
> each other and with food or on an empty stomach.
> My cheeks are flushing from just the overwhelming thought
> that in the best case scenario we may get some relief
> and do no harm to the worst - making it much worse -
> and perhaps damaging our health in another way.

Well, quite. I've just come across an old news item about the possible
consequences of herbal supplements if you have to undergo surgery
<http://archives.cnn.com/2001/HEALTH/07/10/surgery.herbs/index.html>. It may
be that most of the problematic supplements are ones that rosaceans would
steer clear of anyway. But some of them have been mentioned in this thread.
For example, garlic may cause bleeding and may interfere with normal blood
clotting; ginger may cause bleeding; kava may enhance sedative effects of
anaesthesia; and valerian may interfere with the effects of anaesthesia. In
some cases, stopping the supplements just 24 hours before surgery is enough;
in others (like garlic) they need to be discontinued a week before surgery.
(See also <http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/herbal-supplements/SA00040>.)

I'm not suggesting that all herbal supplements are a Bad Thing and should be
avoided completely. But I do think we need to get away from the idea that
More is Better. And at the very least we need to inform our doctors about
what we're taking -- perhaps even carry around a little card listing them
all, just in case we ever have to undergo emergency surgery!

> Desperation sometimes breeds choices we would not
> necessarily make if not so hopeless and helpless.
> Believe me, I feel pretty frustrated and stressed
> and scared. I also have purchased hundreds of dollars
> of supplements, etc. in just the past 2 weeks. I
> just am not sure I will be taking them on a regular
> basis - for all the reasons stated above. And I
> purchased them because it makes me feel better to
> try to take control of what's happening to my body.

Yes, I can certainly understand that. And there's the old vicious circle --
helplessness leading to stress, exacerbating the rosacea, feeling even more
helpless, causing more stress ... And given how powerful the placebo effect
can be, it's possible that even "useless" supplements might actually be
making us measurably better, as well as making us feel better because we're
doing something. I just can't help wondering whether there is another way --
a better, safer, cheaper way! -- of alleviating the stress and anxiety and
distress, and maybe alleviating our symptoms as well.

> But when all is said and done and the dust clears
> I'm not sure what the best thing is to do. Anyway,
> sorry for the long thought process - I'm just thinking
> out loud - on paper.
> With much empathy,
> Melissa

Well, when it comes to empathy I think it's fair to say that more IS better!
And it's great that there seems to be a lot of empathy going around on this
list. It clearly is difficult to make decisions about how to deal with
rosacea, and we all experiment a little, and so we're bound to make
mistakes, even if we try to be careful. I know this sounds a bit clichéd,
but I think we have to let ourselves make them, and forgive ourselves. And
carry on being cautiously optimistic about the future.

Best,

Emma

__._,_.___
--
Please read the list highlights and FAQ: http://rosacea.ii.net
New ! Rosacea Support Resource Pages: http://rosacea-research.org/wiki
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

.

__,_._,___