Thursday, November 23, 2006

Re: [rosacea] P& Ps

Ellen

The p & ps will come and go or they can just hang around for a while. Talking to a
consultant derm the other day (Dr Bewley) he said that they occur after you flush as this
allows fluid to seep into the cells and set up as a p or p. Now I know that isn't the case for
everyone but I certainly find that if I flush more then I get more papules.

It won't be caused by you apllying the alcohol all those years ago but you. The derm also
talked about a genetic disposition to rosacea and again often made worse bu other factors
such as trauma to the skin.

This is how I think my skin progressed: Flusher since birth, broken veins by a teenager,
electrolysis as teenager worsened conditiion, pulse dye laser in early twenties, prescribed
antibiotics for acne increased flushing, acne no better so given high dose roaccutane,
rosacea out of control, prescribed retinoid cream to help the continuing 'spots', back on
antibiotics for continuing 'spots', back to derm who suggested seeing another derm for
laser, finally diagnosed after 10 years of inappropriate treatment.

Key for treatment of p&p's is to control the flushing or treat the inflammation
(antiobiotics).

Sarah

--- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, ellen lafrancis <ellenlafrancis@...> wrote:
>
> Okay. Do they come and go? I have some bumpy areas that never really go away and
some that come and then go. Of course one of those stayed for a long time, would bleed
and get smaller and then be there again........turned out to be basal cell carcinoma (but
gone now). Thanks for the explanation. Here I thought I had acne in my middle age (and I
had beautiful skin back in the days when I SHOULD have been dealing with acne.
>
> Another question: Do we know if this is just something we are born to have? When I
was a teenager I had very oily skin (and into my adult years actually) and sometimes, when
I had nothing else, I would wipe my face with a cotton ball dipped in alcohal. Did I CAUSE
this to happen to me? What about years of sun exposure and sunburns?
>
> Sarah Arnold <phlika29@...> wrote:
> Ellen
>
> I was the same not sure what p&p's stood for but I was too afraid to ask. You are right in
> thinking that it stands for papules aswell as pustules. Papules are like the ones you
> describe (small red lumps without heads) whereas pustules have a head to them.
>
> best wishes
>
> Sarah
>
> --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, ellen lafrancis <ellenlafrancis@> wrote:
> >
> > Okay.....time for a laugh at the ignorance here but P&P is.....???? I have red skin
(getting
> dry where once upon a time it was oily) and some pimple-like bumps......plus actual
> pimples that come and go...... Is this P&P?
> >
> > Also, I can't take the antibiotics -- I've had terrible stomach problems with
tetracycline
> and minocycline so it looks like I can only use topical (I'm currently trying a generic
metro
> cream) and try lifestyle changes. I'm not feeling really confident that this will be enough.
> ellen
> >
> > Brian Shaffner <brianshaffner@> wrote:
> > OMG, yes, you need to change those filters as directed! I'm conservative
> > with it actually. If it says a six month life, I change it every four. I
> > also found a more mild spray is much better for my skin, which only makes
> > sense.
> >
> > For me, the main benefit is how much filtration helps my
> > dermatitas/flakiness... and I'm not really certain how much of that is
> > seb derm, how much is rosacea dermatitas. Nonetheless, bathing under
> > non-filtered water brings it back with a vengeance after four or five days.
> > I don't have P&P, so I can't comment on that aspect.
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: ellen lafrancis
> > To: rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com
> > Sent: Monday, November 20, 2006 9:18 PM
> > Subject: Re: [rosacea] Re: Shower-head water filters
> >
> > Good point!! I have the Sprite filter shower head that has different
> > settings. I love the gentle spray on my face -- a big improvement over my
> > old shower head (that stung). I wrote down the date I installed and plan to
> > change the filter about a month before required.
> >
> > Laurie Mayer <ljclayer@> wrote: I used to have a water filter on
> > my shower head and it did not help my rosacea. Getting a new shower head
> > that made the water spray out more gentle helped the rest of my sensitive
> > skin on my back and arms.
> >
> > Please, if you buy and decide to keep the filter on your showerhead,
> > replace it when recommended, or the filter will get full and the whole
> > device will fly off while you are showering and the black junk from the
> > filter goes all over the place. That happed to us. My dh was showering and
> > got a big surprise when the showerhead seemed to blow up. Not exactly a nice
> > surprise if you are in your b-day suit and getting ready for work!
> >
> > Laurie
> >
> > ---------------------------------
> > Sponsored Link
> >
> > $420,000 Mortgage for $1,399/month - Think You Pay Too Much For Your
> > Mortgage? Find Out!
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> > ---------------------------------
> > Sponsored Link
> >
> > Mortgage rates near 39yr lows. $510,000 Mortgage for $1,698/mo - Calculate
> > new house payment
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ---------------------------------
> > Sponsored Link
> >
> > Mortgage rates near 39yr lows. $420,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate new
> house payment
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------
> Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
--
Please read the list highlights and FAQ: http://rosacea.ii.net
New ! Rosacea Support Resource Pages: http://rosacea-research.org/wiki
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

.

__,_._,___