Monday, November 20, 2006

[rosacea] Red (or Yellow?) LED Therapy

I have the same questions Wayne,

Every research article that I have seen relates to LED's in the Red-Infrared Range and the results deal directly with the reduction of inflammation.

David Pascoe has just informed us that they have asked Dr Goldberg a whole bunch of questions in the hope of answering all the questions you just asked so hopefully he'll get back to us soon. The IPL treatments have a much wider band than an LED. Each case is specific to what filter they use but I was treated with a filter that spanned 870-1400nm. The Practitioners can use a variety of these filters. Some with shorter and some with wider wavelengths.

I am very interested to know why Dr Goldberg specifically uses Yellow LED's for the treatment of redness and am also keen to know why they work in his opinion and see some evidence. It would be great to see a study conducted on rosacea patients that could concretely show us which is the best wavelength to use. However, I dont seem to be getting much interest on the Ask the Mac forum on the RRDi website but hopefully Dr Goldberg may spark some interest with someone.

I've built arrays with yellow, orange, bright orange, red, bright red, and now a Red+Infrared model which I am using. I never spent much time using the yellow because pretty much straight after i started using it, some research papers came out listing the benefits of red light treatment.

The major benefit that I have noticed after even just a 10 minute exposure period a day is a reduction of flushing to normal triggers. I am using the Red+Infrared arrays at the moment, but I have noticed that effect with the all red arrays as well. The only thing that could resemble a side effect that I have seen is a lightening of the pigment in my skin. I have a light Olive complexion normally (besides my red cheeks of course) but have noticed a lightening of my skin tone. However, I am unaware of how the light interacts with the skin to decrease melanin content (if thats what is occurring). Especially when exposure to Ultraviolet light reacts with your skin to increase the melanin content.

If you¢re reading this David P, that would be something I would really like to know as well. A lot of people have noted a lightening of their skin tone. Can Dr Goldberg explain why this occurs? And if this is risky in any way?

Matt.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to hear from members of this group who have purchased
LED therapy devices if they have seen unequivocal and sustained
positive results from their use. What wavelengths were used in your
devices? How often did you use it? Were there any negative side-
effects?

Incidentally, we now have a thread about a doctor (Dr. Goldberg) who
uses yellow LED light to treat rosacea. Is this the same wavelength
as used in IPL treatments? If so, is there something unique about
this wavelength over other nearby colors? And for example, could not
someone use bandpass filtered sunlight to achieve the same effect?

So while I'm a bit skeptical, if this approach appears to have some
efficacy, I intend on building a prototype LED array based on the
best information I can find. At the moment, I have defined a
combination 660/880nM array using 96 and 72 LEDs respectively,
divided among 3 "hinged" panels. Using a 5Volt power supply, the
array would draw about 2.2Amp. It shouldn't be difficult to re-
implement the array for other color LEDs, if it turns out that, say,
a 585nM yellow LED produces a better effect. But before I spend the
time and dollars on this, I want to have some confidence that it
will be worth it.

Wayne

Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


--
Please read the list highlights and FAQ: http://rosacea.ii.net
New ! Rosacea Support Resource Pages: http://rosacea-research.org/wiki


Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rosacea-support/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rosacea-support/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:rosacea-support-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:rosacea-support-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
rosacea-support-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/