Sunday, November 26, 2006

[rosacea] Re: yeast, citrus, yogurt, other flaring foods

Hi Sarah,

Unfortunately for some of us, spinach is high in vasoactive amines
(histamine / tyramine) and can therefore be problematic. Here's a
good list of these foods:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/allergydietitian/fi/amines.html

That said, spinach is awfully good for you so if you can eat it
without it causing you to flush, go for it. I personally love it,
particularly served up southern style, boiled up with some bacon fat
and salted to an inch of its life. Yummm...

Unlike many others, antihistamines have always been a double edged
sword for me, helping in the short term, but seeming to cause
increased skin dryness and burning in the longer term, so I've only
used them in a huge pinch. But those who are lucky enough to be able
to use them may find that they help counteract the vasoactive effects
of these amine rich foods.

Anyway, spinach may not be all that problematic for you personally,
but it's definitely one of those to watch out for ill effects with...

Hang in there...

Dan

--- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah Arnold" <phlika29@...>
wrote:
>
> Dan
>
> Spinach!! damn you I've just bought loads as I try to eat it after
any laser treatment .lol.
> Maybe I shouldn't eat it then but its high in iron, good for clotting.
>
> By the way have you ever heard of angiostop.
>
> Sarah
>
> --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "dfries2003" <dfries2003@>
wrote:
> >
> > Hi star52,
> >
> > Dietary triggers, like other triggers, can be quite confusing as some
> > things that can be triggers for some do not cause problems for others.
> > Still, knowing the possible triggers can help you discover your own
> > personal triggers through a little trial and error. We have a
> > pretty good set of pages in the RSRP on potential dietary triggers:
> >
> > http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index.php/Dietary_Influence
> >
> > As for your specific questions, yes, yeasts, yogurt, lemon, and
> > vinegar can cause problems for many of us. My personal worst
> > triggers include mustards, spinach, walnuts, yogurt, tuna, lemon,
> > vinegars, alcohol, and foods/supplements/drugs high in salicylates.
> > These may not all be problematic for you though, and you may have
> > some additional triggers.
> >
> > I found it helpful to change only one thing at a time in my diet and
> > then monitor my reaction for 5-7 days or so to see how I reacted
> > helped me to identify identify some of my food triggers when I was at
> > my worst. Some (like the worst offenders listed above) seem to cause
> > an almost instant flush/burn for me, but others seem to take a little
> > longer to identify...
> >
> > Anyway, hope this helps...
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "star52star52"
> > <star52star52@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Does yeast cause flares for most people? I have been taking a
yeast
> > > supplement caleld Bio Strath, hoping that it would help my skin and
> > > hair. Just recently read that this could be bad.
> > >
> > > Also I eat yogurt regularly and thought this would be helpful. How
> > > common is it to react badly to this?
> > >
> > > What about lemon juice and vinegar?
> > >
> > > I know each person is different, but besides the obvious
avoidance of
> > > hot drinks, white foods, alcohol, and spicy foods, any other
> > > recommendations that seem to help?
> > >
> > > Do you know soon after eating if a food is bad for your skin? Like
> > > with hot drinks, I get red immediately, but with yogurt, I seem
to be
> > > fine after. Does that mean it is definitely an okay food for me?
> > >
> > > Confusing!
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
--
Please read the list highlights and FAQ: http://rosacea.ii.net
New ! Rosacea Support Resource Pages: http://rosacea-research.org/wiki
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

.

__,_._,___