Saturday, November 25, 2006

[rosacea] Re: Study: Low-Carb, CHD Unrelated

Brady,

Thanks for letting us see your book!

I wanted to throw this out in case someone else has had this
reaction. No offense to those who can use this type of diet. I'm very
glad it helps and am glad that it's a healthy path to take.

But to sound like a broken record, I get extremely dizzy, have a hard
time thinking clearly, and get even puffier in the face when I eat a
very low carb diet. I think I undergo ketosis.

I wonder if I get this reaction because I am hypothyroid? Some of the
symptoms of ketosis mimic hypothyroidism. At any rate, I eat a lower
carb diet, with an emphasis on low glycemic foods. The majority of my
carbs are from whole grains, veggies (especially cruciferous veggies
like kale, broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower, etc.) and fruits.

There is an interesting book I read a few years ago written by a
professor at Harvard Medical School who talks about why this type of
diet is healthy. Here is a link to the book if you are interested:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/books/Eat_Drink_and_Be_Healthy.htm

Anyway, sorry to be getting on my soapbox about this. Continued good
health to those on the low-carb diet regimen!!

Take care,
Matija

http://www.health.harvard.edu/books/Eat_Drink_and_Be_Healthy.htm

--- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "Brady Barrows" <brady@...>
wrote:
>
> You can read my book for free at this url >
>
> http://tinyurl.com/8tw3u
>
> Brady
>
> --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, ellen lafrancis
<ellenlafrancis@> wrote:
> >
> > It's mostly about the low-glycemic right? I'm hypoglycemic with
a family history of
> diabetes. Sugar has been slightly elevated and my sweetie G.P. has
told me that I need to
> eat mostly protein but go more in the South Beach direction which
in my mind is more
> protein and some complex carbs. Brady, I haven't read your book
yet. Just did an on-line
> search at my local library and found that they offer very little
about Rosacea -- diet or
> otherwise.
> >
> > arteest103 <arteest103@> wrote: I think a lot of the
general public assumes
> ³Atkins² when you mention low
> > carb. I do really well on low carb and lost 50 lbs as well.
People asked me
> > how I did it and when I say ³low carb,² I get the scrunched up
face. Then I
> > say, ³I said LOW carb, not NO carb!²
> >
> > Karen
> >
> > From: gerlygerl <gerlygerl@>
> > Reply-To: "rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com"
> > <rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com>
> > Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 17:21:36 -0000
> > To: "rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com" <rosacea-
support@yahoogroups.com>
> > Subject: [rosacea] Re: Study: Low-Carb, CHD Unrelated
> >
> > brady,
> >
> > i'm so tired of low-carb diet trashing! one can get all the
nutrients
> > one needs and yet still eat low carb. my body just doesn't
respond to
> > low-fat diets, but i've always carried extra weight...yet when i
went
> > low-carb, my IBS all but disappeared, i had more energy, i lost
> > weight, and my fibromyalgia pains weren't so bad. (i've been
through
> > testing, and i'm not allergic to gluten or grains)
> >
> > to each, their own, but certain people have a vested interest in
> > pushing their own versions of what it means to eat 'healthy,' even
> > when that version isn't the best for all of us.
> >
> > sara
> >
> > --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com
> > <mailto:rosacea-support%40yahoogroups.com> , "Brady Barrows"
<brady@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > I have been criticized since 1999 that the Rosacea Diet is not a
> > healthy diet
> > > but more studies have shown that eating low carb is not as bad
as
> > everyone
> > > thinks. Here is a quote from a recent study done at Harvard:
> > >
> > > "A new Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) study —the first
to
> > examine the
> > > long-term effects of low carbohydrate diets—has found there is
no
> > association
> > > between such diets and an increased risk of developing coronary
> > heart disease
> > > (CHD).
> > >
> > > The study, which appeared in the Nov. 9 issue of The New England
> > Journal of
> > > Medicine, relied on data collected from HSPH's Nurses' Health
Study,
> > a sweeping
> > > project which collected data from over 120,000 women starting
in 1976.
> > >
> > > HSPH researchers also found that there was an association
between a
> > lowered risk
> > > of heart disease and low-carb diets that were high in vegetable
> > sources of fat and
> > > protein.
> > >
> > > "We are not recommending a low-carb diet over a low-fat diet,"
said
> > > Thomas L. Halton, one of the authors of the study.
> > >
> > > "The truth of the matter is that neither [is] ideal. Both have
good
> > points and
> > > bad points."
> > >
> > > According to Halton, carbohydrate and fat sources have a greater
> > impact on the
> > > risk of CHD than the quantity of carbohydrates and fat consumed.
> > >
> > > "You can take the best of both diets and eliminate the
negatives by
> > focusing on
> > > vegetable sources of fat and protein and choosing lower glycemic
> > sources of
> > > carbohydrates," said Halton, a former HSPH doctoral student.
> > >
> > > Non-dietary factors such as levels of cholesterol and blood
> > pressure, as well as
> > > diabetes and exercise, did not appear to impact the relationship
> > between low carb
> > > diets and CHD risk.
> > >
> > > "We controlled for [those factors] in our analyses so we can
say the
> > association
> > > between low carb diet and risk of CHD was independent of other
risk
> > factors
> > > for CHD," Halton said."
> > >
> > > source >
> > >
> > > http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=515865
> > >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ---------------------------------
> > Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>

__._,_.___
--
Please read the list highlights and FAQ: http://rosacea.ii.net
New ! Rosacea Support Resource Pages: http://rosacea-research.org/wiki
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

.

__,_._,___