Sunday, November 26, 2006

Re: [rosacea] Re: P& Ps

Yes I agree about the soy products. I took part in a clinical trial at MD Anderson Cancer Center. It involved the use of celecoxib (Celebrex is the name most people know) to see if there was any change in breast tissue. I remember part of the protocal was that I avoid soy products so that if there were changes in breast tissue, it could be atributed to the drug. I worry about not being able to have dairy (Rosacea and lactose intolerance and soy because Osteoporosis is a big issue on my mother's side of the family. ellen

khm4aim <khm4aim@yahoo.com> wrote: You are very right to be careful. although it has been pretty well
studied I don't find it has been studied in regard to cancer
promoting activity. It could make things worse because it acts like
an estrogen - it could do nothing, it could even be a preventative
because it binds to estrogen receptor sites but it is not an
estrogen per sey.

But as far as I can see NO ONE KNOWS. on the same principal you
should probably avoid soy products. They are weaker, but seem to
have a similar action.

--- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, ellen lafrancis
<ellenlafrancis@...> wrote:
>
> I'm scared of black cohash. I'm scared of anything that might
mimic estrogen or any other hormone. I have atypical ductal
hyperplasia in my left breast. This means I have too many cells,
and they are abnormal but not cancerous at this time. It is however
a big red flag for breast cancer. Add to this, an aunt that died of
ovarian cancer and this makes another big red flag for breast
cancer. Then there was the brain tumor. The type I had, a
meningioma, is thought to be fed by progesterone...another type of
hormome. I have to be very, very careful about hormones or anything
like and I'm being monitored really closely by mammogram, breast
ultrasound and breast MRI (plus yearly MRI of my noggin).
>
> I don't think I'm flushing any more than usual on the Clonidine
and it IS helping with the hot flashes. For that alone, I'm loving
these little pills. el
>
> o.uk> wrote:
> Ellen
>
> Clonidine is one of those funny ones, it works well for some and
not for others. I reacted
> to it really bad and it increased my flushing almost immediately.
If it seems to be working
> I would carry on for abit longer ( I think they are meant to
lessen the flushing in intensity
> and length).
>
> Have you tried Black cohosh as this can help with flushing caused
by menopausal hot
> flushes?
>
> Sarah
>
> --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, ellen lafrancis
<ellenlafrancis@> wrote:
> >
> > Sarah, thank you for sharing your notes. I was particularly
interested in the debate over
> beta-blockers. I've been taking Clonidine for about three weeks
now. My OB/GYN actually
> prescribed them to give me some relief from my hot flashes (I'm at
heavy risk for breast
> cancer so hormones are out of the question). Not sure if it's
helped the flushing. I want to
> say it has but tonight I'm pretty red.......'course that could be
the result of a pig-out at a
> Mediterranean buffet today. (Told ya'll I wasn't good at
moderation) ellen
> >
> >
> > Sarah Arnold <phlika29@> wrote:
> > Saskia and everyone else
> >
> > I recently went on a rosacea information day in London and have
posted my notes on
> the
> > rosacea forum recently.
> >
> > If you are interested in them I have posted the direct link
below:
> >
> > http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewtopic.php?t=4531
> >
> > Not sure how useful it is, but there you go.
> >
> > Sarah
> >
> > --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "sskplch" <sskplch@>
wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks Sarah,
> > >
> > > This info is very helpful to me!
> > >
> > > Saskia
> > >
> > > --- In rosacea-support@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah Arnold"
> > > <phlika29@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Ellen
> > > >
> > > > The p & ps will come and go or they can just hang around for
a
> > > while. Talking to a
> > > > consultant derm the other day (Dr Bewley) he said that they
occur
> > > after you flush as this
> > > > allows fluid to seep into the cells and set up as a p or p.
Now I
> > > know that isn't the case for
> > > > everyone but I certainly find that if I flush more then I
get more
> > > papules.
> > > >
> > > > It won't be caused by you apllying the alcohol all those
years ago
> > > but you. The derm also
> > > > talked about a genetic disposition to rosacea and again
often made
> > > worse bu other factors
> > > > such as trauma to the skin.
> > > >
> > > > This is how I think my skin progressed: Flusher since birth,
> > > broken veins by a teenager,
> > > > electrolysis as teenager worsened conditiion, pulse dye
laser in
> > > early twenties, prescribed
> > > > antibiotics for acne increased flushing, acne no better so
given
> > > high dose roaccutane,
> > > > rosacea out of control, prescribed retinoid cream to help
the
> > > continuing 'spots', back on
> > > > antibiotics for continuing 'spots', back to derm who
suggested
> > > seeing another derm for
> > > > laser, finally diagnosed after 10 years of inappropriate
treatment.
> > > >
> > > > Key for treatment of p&p's is to control the flushing or
treat the
> > > inflammation
> > > > (antiobiotics).
> > > >
> > > > Sarah
> > > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ---------------------------------
> > Check out the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta - Fire up a more powerful
email and get things
> done faster.
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------
> Access over 1 million songs - Yahoo! Music Unlimited.
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

---------------------------------
Want to start your own business? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
--
Please read the list highlights and FAQ: http://rosacea.ii.net
New ! Rosacea Support Resource Pages: http://rosacea-research.org/wiki
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

.

__,_._,___