Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Re: [rosacea] The psychology of rosacea?

On 20/11/06 02:59, "Elena Mutter" <emgm42000@yahoo.com> wrote:

> You can check out Brady Barrows book "The Rosacea Diet".
> ... he has a vegetarian friendly version of his diet and
> yes it is difficult but I will say that the whole cutting
> out the carbs thing is the only thing that shows fast real
> results in mine and MANY other cases. Again, it's sooooo
> not easy, but when your suffering you'll do most anything.

I can imagine. A low-carb vegetarian diet would just about be possible,
because protein could be obtained from eggs and cheese -- both low in carbs.
But I'm vegan -- I don't eat eggs or dairy, and never will. I suppose if I
relied on hemp protein, tofu and leaf protein concentrate (yummy!) for my
eight essential amino acids, I could just about give up grains and pulses --
for thirty days. But it just wouldn't be sustainable.

Still, I can cut *down* on my carbohydrates. I might try cutting out
wholemeal wheat pasta and couscous and eating more buckwheat, which is high
in rutin, because rutin is, allegedly, good for the old capillaries.

> I was diagnosed with Rosacea at 21 and am almost 47 now.
> I will tell you that conventional medicine ... all worked
> for many many years. But I did get progressively worse
> always ... I am finding the way the occular rosacea has
> kicked up in the two years to be the worst to deal with
> currently along with the burning skin

About a year ago I had what I thought was eczema on my eyelids, and I'm now
wondering whether it was ocular rosacea. Either way, it was very unpleasant,
so you have my utmost sympathy. I was lucky, though. Giving up wearing
mascara and changing my moisturiser and cleanser did the trick in just a few
weeks. My eyes do feel dry and rather sore when the heating is on. But this
winter I think I might follow your example and keep the house much colder.

> And with all this I am basically living day to day
> keeping the most debilitating symptoms just under the
> surface. It's very distressing and I know that for me
> it is pretty much a disease brought on 100% by stress, so
> ANYTHING you can do to lessen your stress is so important.
> Keep us posted on your progress and what helps you.

Thank you, Elena. I now feel that my problems are really quite trivial, and
I'm much more concerned about you. I do hope you're able to relax, and that
cooking for Thanksgiving isn't too traumatic. Keep watching the funny
movies, and whatever you do -- DON'T CRY! That must be one of the worst
triggers. I've found that I can usually stop myself crying by forcing my
mouth into a grin. Apparently, when you do that the muscles around your
mouth send messages back to your brain that can inhibit the urge to cry and
make you want to keep smiling. And forcing yourself to laugh is good, too,
even if it seems unnatural at first. Even a force laughed has been shown to
release endorphins -- our own natural painkillers. Don't do it in public,
though; it frightens people, I've found ... ;-)

All the best,

Emma

__._,_.___
--
Please read the list highlights and FAQ: http://rosacea.ii.net
New ! Rosacea Support Resource Pages: http://rosacea-research.org/wiki
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

.

__,_._,___